Position: Engineering Manager
Job ID: CAL-MAN-001
West Power Energy is a leading multi-disciplinary engineering consulting firm, with a primary specialization in power generation, transmission, and distribution. West Power Energy strives to provide engineering services to public and private utility companies, consultants, as well as contractors taking part in the design and construction of power generation facilities, transmission lines, and substations, across the United States and Canada. We offer solutions from pre-feasibility studies, full engineering design services to the preparation of as-built recordings.
West Power Energy is looking for an Engineering Manager to join the Transmission & Distribution (T&D) team in either our greater Los Angeles area office in Arcadia, CA or greater San Diego area office in La Jolla, CA. The successful candidate will report directly to the Vice President of Operations and be instrumental in the continued development and growth of the T&D organization in the United States. This position includes the opportunity to supervise the Engineering and CAD organization as well as recruiting, mentoring, staff development, training, strategic planning, etc. with a further description and responsibilities below.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the managerial leadership and direction of the engineering and CAD organization for T&D in the United States. This includes engineering technology initiatives, organizational strategy and development of career advancement initiatives. The Engineering Manager will lead the engineering and CAD resources in a dynamic and profitable manner. Specific areas of responsibility include the following, with other duties assigned by senior management:
Engineering Manager Responsibilities:
- Promotes a safety-first culture.
- Provide leadership to the U.S. based and offshore engineering and CAD teams; direct and coordinate staff and resources ensuring efficient and cost-effective utilization of staff.
- Work with project managers and counterpart from other regions to utilize resources in the most effective way
- Partner with Human Resources to recruit, train, develop, retain and lead performance management.
- Coordinates and/or performs quality checks and reviews for project deliverables per the Quality system requirements, processes, and procedures to deliver a high quality product to the client. Performs quality checks and/or reviews of projects from other teams on an as needed basis.
- Manage development and execution of engineering and CAD strategic technology initiatives to achieve goals and objectives.
- Oversee the development of engineering and CAD tools, training and work flows to increase efficiency in designs, specification development, and project execution.
- Achieve stated targets for engineering and CAD recruiting and retention performance.
- Provide industry expertise. May also assist with developing technical papers and/or presentations that showcase West Power Energy’s technical capabilities at industry conferences or other events.
- Determine engineering organization objectives and requirements, and develop standards and guidelines.
- Prepare and monitor engineering organization budget and expenditure of funds for staffing hours, supplies, training, and equipment.
- Provide guidance for strategies to sell engineering and CAD services to clients. This will involve participating and providing input into project proposal activities, developing relationships with client counterparts, establishing project specific engineering execution plans, etc.
- Responsible for conducting performance evaluations for direct reports.
- Support Human Resources on educational partnerships and internship programs.
- Minimum of 7 years of specialized experience in Utility and related disciplines, including 3 or more years managing design engineering professionals.
- Self starter and proven leader and coach with demonstrated communication skills - verbal, written and in presentation format with the ability to motivate and lead a team to success.
- Ability to thoughtfully and positively influence, lead and manage.
- Strong conceptual, organizational, problem solving, and collaboration skills.
- Demonstrated results in managing resources and staff requirements, which includes proposal development, contract negotiations, project planning, design team coordination & communication, budgeting, schedule management, and client coordination.
- Previous consulting firm experience.
- Regulated utility experience.
- Prior experience with California utility companies.
- B.S. in Engineering required from an accredited curriculum.
- Professional Engineer licensure required.
- Experience with T&D industry specific design software.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape our growing company. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our team and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow. Our values guide our work. Want to join us? We are safe. We are one team. We act with integrity. We respect our staff and client. We are forward-thinking. West Power Energy is an equal opportunity employee
If you are interested in applying, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to Career@westpowerenergy.com or fill the following form and upload resume.